Oh Crepe!

Oh Crepe!

This recipe was created by my mom a couple decades ago. It has since become quite popular for it’s flawlessness. This recipe creates the most wonderfully light, airy and decadent crepes. They are buttery and perfectly sweet. I have tried lots of crepe recipes, most are either too dense or I can taste the flour in them, making them taste more like a thin pancake than a French creation. But MY crepe recipe, I can honestly say is the best you will ever find. It is the one recipe in my cookbook I always seize the opportunity to brag about. Try it and see for yourself.
crepes+and+cream
Once batter is ready:
Pour 1/4 cup of batter into skillet.  I pour straight from my blender container. Just make sure there is enough batter to cover the bottom of the pan with a THIN, THIN, THIN layer of batter.
 SWIRL pan around until bottom of pan is covered with batter.
 COOK for about 30 seconds, or until edges easily lift up with spatula.
FLIP, COOK for 5-10 seconds.  Crepe should slide right out of pan.
Use wax paper between crepes.  My crepes never actually make it to the plate.
If you are making crepes for dessert…  make the cream.  It’s worth it.
crepes
Jourdan-Signature
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

The Perfect Crepe

DSC_0043

By littleyellowbarn@gmail.com Published: June 1, 2012

• Yield: 18-20

This recipe was originally created by my mom 20+ some years ago and has since become quite popular. Light, buttery and not too sweet, it is the most perfect crepe you will ever make.

Ingredients

Instructions

1. In a blender, place all ingredients, except flour. Blend together
  2. Sprinkle in flour, blend until incorporated.
  3. You may choose to refrigerate the batter for 1 hour or even over-night. But sometimes when I'm desperate, I just go straight to the skillet. Refrigerating the batter makes a difference though. It makes the crepes lighter and not so dense. I just stick my whole blender container in the fridge.
  4. After refrigerating the batter, blend again on HIGH for 1 minute. This adds air into the batter and again makes the crepe lighter and gives you that beautiful spider's web design on your crepes.
  5. Lightly butter an 8-inch non-stick skillet and place on medium heat (you may need to adjust heat according to how fast crepes are cooking, don't cook them on high, they will burn). Pour 1/4 cup of batter into the skillet and SWIRL pan around until bottom of pan is covered with a very THIN layer of batter.
  6. Cook for about 30 seconds or until edges can be lifted with a spatula
  7. Use fingers to FLIP crepe. Cook opposite side for 5-10 seconds. Crepe should slide right out of pan. Use wax paper between crepes.
  8. Cream Filling: 1 c sour cream, 1 8oz pkg. cream cheese, SOFTENED TO ROOM TEMPERATURE and 1 c powdered sugar Use an electric beater to combine ingredients together.

WordPress Recipe Plugin by ReciPress

Comments

1. Sounds fabulous. Thanks for the recipe. Hugs, Marty

2. omg the filling sounds divine. i need some. now.

smiles to you and happy weekend.

michele

3. Anonymous says:

What temperature do you heat your pan up to?

4. Oh my gosh I am loving your blog! I am your newest follower! And I cant wait to try these!!

riversrecipereview.blogspot.com

5. Oh yum – these look SO good!!

6. I heart crepes.

7. I just made these with the boys I nanny and they were great! We found a cinnamon raisin swirled peanut butter at the store. We used that, some bananas, and whipped cream. Probably one of the best breakfasts ever! Thanks for the recipe!

8. Made this today. Used the filling and and some berries for the inside. It was heavenly! Thanks for sharing!

9. Tina Cammarello says:

Made these this morning they were delicious !

10. Anonymous says:

I am si ready to make this!!!!!

11. Stacie M says:

My daughter and I made these tonight…they were so good and very easy to make!! We filled with Nutella and put bananas and strawberries on top…just like we had in Europe a few summers ago!! YUM-YUM!!!

12. Anonymous says:

Do you add butter in the mixture you blend? Or is the butter only for greasing?

13. Anonymous says:

yum, made these today! Thanks for the recipe. I tried to make crepes before and had little success, but these are easy and wonderful.

14. Anonymous says:

These were great! Couple things…I really don’t think you need to butter your pan if you have a good quality non-stick pan. I used coconut oil instead of melted butter and the batter had plenty of fat in it to make it not stick. Remember (even Martha Stewart says this of crepes)…the first one almost never works. Keep going and then they start working!! Weird but true! We did them with cream and fruit, some with nutella and fruit, and one with lemon juice and sugar (put the sugar on after you flip it in the skillet). They were all delish! Also, only had brown rice flour and it worked great. I did a half batch (because I didn’t think we needed that many crepes for me and 2 kids!) and I only got 6 crepes (and I thought I did them thin!). So, it may not make 16-20 crepes for a full batch. Thanks for this recipe!

15. Anonymous says:

Sounds yummy! Can I freeze the crepes?? How long can I keep it for?
      Thx for sharing!

16. Anonymous says:

I made these this morning and my family and I loved them. I used smuckers low sugar strawberry preserves and a light sprinkle of powdered sugar for the filling. They were great. My neighbor has a toddler and he wanted two for himself! I used a 10 inch skillet and got 13 crepes. Thanks!

17. Jessica C says:

As soon as I saw these I got up and went and got what I needed for this recipe, I used organic alternatives for this. I added a tsp of honey to the mix and a pinch of cinnamon. I also added honey, vanilla, and cinnamon to the filling and yom! This was a great recipe, thanks for sharing!

18. Anonymous says:

this was the best and exact recipe was so good just made for my family all loved
      thanks

19. Was just wondering if you HAVE to refrigerate for 1 hour. Is this step absolutely necessary?

20. These were wonderful! Made a batch of crepes, the cream, and some strawberry compote for the top. Amazing & easy!!

21. Just finding this on pinterest and it’s looking divine! I was just going to tell you to do some research on the condition of that pan of yours and how bad that is for you! Time for a new pan!

22. Anonymous says:

I make crepes for sunday brunch quite often – adding Nutella and bananas. I love them. This recipe is similar to mine but with 4 eggs instead of two it must go further, I’m guessing. Will try them with this cream recipe and the strawberries – looks good.

23. Anonymous says:

I made these on the weekend. I made the batter the night before and made the majority of the crepes the next morning. I served them with fresh strawberries and whipped cream. I saved some batter and made the remaining at night with the intention of putting them in the fridge as a test. I didn’t make it that far. I just ate them..plain. They are so delicious and so easy to make.

24. Anonymous says:

ADD SOME OIL THAT WAY U DON”T HAVE TO ADD OIL EVERY TIME U COOK IT

25. you are a girl after my own heart…crepes are my favorite thing {i lived in france} and this looks like the perfect recipe! especially the filling. thanks for sharing! we are your newest followers..come follow back at chaseandem.blogspot.com XO

26. I just made these and aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamazing they were!!!!!

27. I substituted Sun Mills Gluten Free Flour-Whole Grain for the flour and made these and they were amazing! Thanks for sharing your recipe.

28. Anonymous says:

I made some 2 day they were dilcious. I use milk instead of wate . thank you for the recipe:)

29. Just made these for my family! Sooooo good. Just advise, don’t eat more than two, or you may get a tad sick from the sweetness! Eitherway, will definitely make again! :)

30. Anonymous says:

Crepes are baked on a flat hop plate with 2 different spatula’s, very tricky to do.
      Google image search “Gourin fete de la crepe”

These look more like Dutch Pancakes. (eggs, +/-1 / litre of batter, flower, milk, salt, the thinner the batter, the thinner the pancake)

Try some varieties: Put some slices of bacon in the pan, when it starts to crumble up, add the batter. flip when the top is dry, serve with sugar sirup. Or in stead of bacon use slices of apple, serve with sugar/cinnamon mixture. In a Dutch pancake restaurant the menu often has more than 30 pancakes to choose from. They are thick and the size of a pizza plate: it is not a snack, it’s a meal.

31. Anonymous says:

I love Dutch pancakes with sugar and syrup.

32. Anonymous says:

can you freeze them? Would love to make it for a parisian party that I am having for my daughter.

33. Anonymous says:

Een leuk artikel vervaardigen ten aanzien van wilde dieren kleurplaten
      is zeker zeker niet een fluitje van een cent maar ik moet zeggen
      dat het u heel goed is gelukt, fantastisch!
      My blog :: kip kleurplaat

34. Anonymous says:

This is the best crepe recipe i ever tried! They’re perfect! Thanks<33

35. Anonymous says:

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

36. Just made this for Christmas morning! PERFECT recipe!! Thank you so much for saving me from another Christmas morning of what my daughter has deemed ‘awkward crepes’. These are delicious!

37. Anonymous says:

Hmm yum! These are great! Instead of the cream, I added nutella and strawberries <3 BEST BREAKFAST EVER.
      Thank you for this wonderful recipe!

38. This was awesome. I tried this over the weekend and this was the easiest recipe ever! I just blogged about it (giving credit to you of course). Delicious! http://waisteddreams.blogspot.com/2013/01/38-x-38-mastering-crepe.html

39. I love it and had to chuckle about the laps in the pool…….my hair is still wet.

40. I love it and had to chuckle about the laps in the pool…….my hair is still wet.

41. I love it and had to chuckle about the laps in the pool…….my hair is still wet.

42. Yum,yum, yum…I love it and i can;t wait to try to do it now!

43. I had my first crape on folly beach sc. There is this lovely truck………yes truck that is off the beaten path but hard to miss because of the line coming from it. Tokyo crapes…..they had a chocolate chip and amond crape……omg !!! My hubby got one with icecream in it……so good !!! They wrap it all up in a crape shaped cone…… genius !!!! So I am gonna attempt to make these and put their spin on it ……thanks for sharing :))

44. Anonymous says:

I made these for my family and they LOVED them we used your exact recipe including the cream and topped them with some strawberries mixed with lemon and brown sugar. These are incredible and SUPER EASY. Thank you so much for sharing your recipe.

45. Anonymous says:

These were super easy and delicious! Thanks for posting the recipe!

46. The precisely designed dough dividerand rounder is mainly used for dividing and rounding dough into pieces of equal weight. It adopts geometrical segmentation principle and eccentric swinging principle to divide the dough into 30pcs in 6~10seconds. Each piece is of same weight and uniform shape. The production efficiency is greatly improved and also time saving. amisypelletmill2013@gmail.com

47. Hmm yum! These are great!I can’t wait one more minute to make it by Mini Donut Machine Let’s have a try!

48. oh nice crêpe recipe .i like it very much.

49. Anonymous says:

Our creme filling is clumpy from the cream cheese any suggestions on what to do.

50. Let the cream cheese reach room temperature before beating it, or warm it up in the microwave for 30 seconds or so and then beat it with an electric beater before adding the sugar and sour cream.

51. Anonymous says:

Just made these, and the cream is DELICIOUS. We had some with Nutella but added the cream filling also, and we had other ones with filling, strawberry slices and chocolate chips. WOW! I’ve never been so full in my life

52. Love this recipe! It is so easy and delicious!!

53. I made crepes for the first time in my entire life on my fiance’s birthday. I used this recipe and they turned out so well! Not as well as I wanted them too, but I am a newbie at this sort of thing. I am making brunch now and guess what’s on the menu? You guessed it, these wonderful crepes! I use the filling for breakfast as well, not just dessert (: -Kyla

54. Morgan says:

These crepes were dynamite! I will definitely be making them, time and time again. Like others have already mentioned–the batter had enough butter that I didn’t even need add any to the pan before cooking. For breakfast, I like a lighter, fluffier cream so I just whip 4 oz. cream cheese, 1 c. heavy whipping cream, and some powdered sugar until soft peaks form. Excellent with fresh strawberries!

Escapades in Eating